Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Deals Gap

I took Woody's advice and headed over to Deals Gap after finishing the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had heard of it before, but was never really sure where it was or even what exactly it was.

Well, let me tell you: this road is no fucking joke.

Deals Gap is Route 129 crossing the border between North Carolina and Tennessee by Fontana Dam. It is, quite simply, the most technically challenging road you will likely ever find, anywhere. Deals Gap is (ready for this?) 318 turns in the course of a mere 11 miles.

If you just said "HOLYFUCKINGSHIT!" you are not alone. This road makes Highway 1 along the Pacific Coast look straight. It is so bad that it made someone lose their lunch all over the highway at the end (I'll spare you the gory details, but this made Linda Blair's famous scene in The Exorcist look like a case of the hiccups).

Well, I rode that bad beast known as the Dragon and survived. Granted, most of it was done at less than 40 mph, but I never ran off the road (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't come thisclose a few times), and my underwear survived without incident. I've even got my sticker to prove it, Bee-yatch!

Yeah! Ride on!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt - the blog is really great! Nice to be able to keep track of your adventures as you make your way across the country. Sorry to hear about your fried laptop - hope that you're able to make it work well enough to keep posting along the way! I'll give U a ring soon...

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While reading this I was reminded of volvo auto part you should stop by.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home