Thursday, June 02, 2005

Memphis, TN



I've spent the last two nights in Memphis, TN. If you love blues and BBQ as much as I do, you can't go wrong here.

The picture above was dinner last night at the famous Rendezvous in downtown Memphis. When I asked someone where the best ribs in Memphis were, he directed me to this place. At first, I was a little suspicious (when someone tells you to go down an alley in a strange city, I'd say that's normal), but the BBQ here was just outstanding. I may be ruined for life - I'm not sure anywhere else will ever measure up to this place. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to stop looking!

I also went to Sun Studios, which is famous for launching the careers of many of rock & roll's earliest and greatest stars. I got to hang out in the studio where Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, B.B. King, and even U2 have recorded (not to mention many, many others). It was pretty cool - for a moment I could almost see The King standing there holding the mic and I got goosebumps. Maybe he dropped by for a visit...?

After Sun, I headed over to the Art of the Motorcycle exhibit at the Pyramid. I saw it a few years ago when it was at the Guggenheim, but it was actually cooler to see it here. The place was almost totally empty, so I got to spend three hours hanging out with the greatest motorcycle collection in the world. If you're in or near Memphis in the next couple of months, you have to go see it. They did a really great job curating it and the volunteers staffing it were very friendly and knowledgeable.

Today I'm stopping at Graceland to pay my respects, and then I'm heading south into Mississippi. I plan on camping out, but if I hear any banjo music, I'm gettin' the hell outta there!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn that looks good.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lookin' BBQ. Beer, blues and BBQ... can't beat that!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

always wanted to hit memphis
i hear it's haunted,
see anything creepy?

keep the shiny side up bro!

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, Baby, is Memphis really haunted? It has all the prereq's necessary....

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting, Baby, is Memphis really haunted? It has all the prereq's necessary....

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. Thanks for your website. We met at the grocery store in Morro Bay. I will keep track of your adventure from here on. joseph_dobie@sbcglobal.net

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home