Friday, July 29, 2005

Back in the USA

I’m in Devil’s Lake, North Dakota now, probably about three or four days from reaching home. Being here is bittersweet – I’m psyched to get back to NYC to see Amy, my family, my friends, etc. but I’m bummed that the ride is coming to an end.

I hope that none of my posts have given the impression that I am not enjoying myself, by the way. While I have been frustrated beyond words at the crappy internet service and bummed about getting rained on for the better part of the last 2500 miles, I would still rather be doing this than almost anything else in the world. A really terrible day of riding is still far, far better than the best day in the office. Even when it is raining and cold and you feel like you’re fighting for every mile, it is still a glorious feeling. Riding is riding, and I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t actually love the cold, wet days in the saddle.

Although I wanted to stay in Canada as long as possible, I did finally abandon that plan yesterday. Aside from the whole internet thing, I also was getting sick of the bad roads, expensive gas, and crappy food. I met a really nice Englishwoman yesterday who is riding from Vancouver to Halifax and even she remarked that the food in Canada is terrible. When someone from England tells you the food is bad, that should tell you something! [Note: I actually think the Brits have an undeserved reputation when it comes to their cooking. One of the best meals of my life was had a couple of years ago when I was over there.]

Anyway, after riding through Manitoba a ways (and almost running over a badger who decided to cross the road in front of me – silly badger!), I decided to cut south to the Peace Garden and cross the border there. For the first time in years, I got searched. It was pretty painless and I was happy to comply (I appreciate the job the border guards do), but it did cost me nearly an hour of daylight.

Today I’m continuing my drive eastward and will likely stay on US 2 through Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. I probably won’t make as good mileage as doing the interstates, but that’s ok. I’d rather see a part of this amazing country that I haven’t seen before.

Ride On!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mathew Elsner said...

Hi Ben-

No, no, no - I LOVE Canada! I really had a great time riding the Al-Can and some of the places I visited were amazing. I just got really tired of hearing from every hotel that they had high speed internet access and then finding out that the reality was a crappy router in the lobby that couldn't reach my room.

Mac & cheese five times a week might be a bit much - I keep it to three myself. Actually, here I had a valid point. I had eaten perhaps the two worst meals of the last month back to back when I wrote that. One was a chicken dish that came with "vegetables" on the side that were freezer-burned peas and carrots, and the other was a Hot Open Faced Turkey Sandwich that featured lots of turkey grizzle bits and nasty, NASTY ice-cream scooped mashed potatoes that tasted like instant that were made several hours ago. Plus, I never saw a single Taco Bell up there to provide me with solace from the never-ending rain.

The last week HAS flown. I tried pushing on today to make it from Chicago to NYC, but was thwarted by construction. What has happened to the roads lately in North America? Is everything under construction?!?

Thanks for your well-wishes and good luck yourself!

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yah! Da UP man!
Michigan's upper Peninusula is some of the most beautiful country I've seen. Practically untouched by us humans, full of rich forests and glorious lakes. I can't wait to hear about how you like it.
It is easy to get lost, though, so keep your GPS handy!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Matt! You should have stayed in Canada longer... or go back. The Maritime provinces have great food! Cheap fish & chips and ice cream. What could be better? Have a safe trip home. See you soon. :)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home