Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Big Chubby

I've been trying to eat at fast food joints as little as possible on this trip, but sometimes the alternatives are gas station sandwiches or hunger, so you swallow the greasy nastiness that you know is bad for you and pretend not to enjoy that Big Mac too much (hey, I never said the stuff doesn't taste pretty good - I have a serious, nearly pathological weakness for Taco Bell).

On the last day that I was riding the Alaska Highway back to Dawson Creek, I stopped at Fort. St. John for some dinner. Since I was in a rush and I'd never had it before, I decided to stop in to an A&W restaurant. There are some of them in the U.S., but they are just about everywhere in Canada (there are probably more of them than McDonalds).

These restaurants are similar to a McDonalds or a Burger King, but they also serve one or two other more "traditional" alternatives to burgers and fries. They even still serve A&W Root Beer in frosted glasses and tasty looking root beer floats. I, however, wanted some yummy cow in my stomach and opted for one of their burgers (named after family members, like the Grandpa, the Mama, or the Teen - I still have no idea what distinguishes them). While I was waiting, the various A&W staff called out to each other about the orders in progress, just like any other fast-food joint. Then I started hearing things like "How much longer 'til this guy gets his chubby?", "Hey, I really need that chubby NOW!", and "What's the wait looking like for a large chubby?"

Well, those sweet, harmless Canadians clearly have no idea that the word "chubby" is a euphemism for erection. CHUBBY = BONER, STIFFY, HARD-ON, well, you get the idea. The good people running the A&W restaurant chain - as well as the customers, apparently - clearly aren't aware that having a menu item like "Chubby Chicken" (in several variations and sizes, no less) might create some linguistic hilarity for us Americans.

My favorite lines of the evening (other than those listed above):
"Hey, this guy is still waiting for his chubby - what should I tell him?"
"Can I get a chubby 12 up here?"
"What comes with the large chubby?"
"What's taking so long with that small chubby?"
"I'm sorry, you're going to have to wait at least 20 minutes for a chubby."
"Can I get two medium chubbies to go?"

I'm just glad all I wanted was a burger!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home