Monday, July 25, 2005

Whitehorse, Yukon

On the way north, the Filthy Five had stopped into Whitehorse for dinner and then spent the night in Haines Junction. I was looking forward to possibly stopping for the night there on the way back. However, I felt guilty about considering it, since I had only ridden about 100 miles from Haines Junction to there, and let's face it: 100 miles is hardly the stuff of epic riding days. However, I felt like it was a town worth checking out, and it was just raining nonstop, so I ultimately decided to hang up my helmet there and have a real nice, easy day of it.

I checked into a hotel right in the middle of downtown Whitehorse and then went in search of the local Suzuki dealer I'd seen on the way into town. They were kind enough to let me borrow their pressure washer to get the mud from the worst construction zone on the Alaska Highway off of the DL - she was filthy! Once again, the Suzuki guys had my back. Thanks.

I rode around the town a bit and it seemed like a pretty cool place. I'm sure it gets beastly in the winter, but it was great while I was there. The clouds even parted later and the sun poked through for a while.

In the evening, the open windows let in the sounds of the bars downstairs and I decided to go have a look. While the bar in the hotel was a little too Dockers & Hairspray for me, the Capital Hotel down the street had a bar with a metal band playing that night! They were called Nemesis (why oh why do I suspect that name has been used by at least 20 other bands already?) and they did a mix of metal classics and their own stuff. While their stuff was pretty good, they were wise enough to keep it to maybe a third of their set. The rest was a metal melange that was impressive in both execution and scope. They started things off with "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest, and then played songs by Motorhead, Metallica, and Megadeth (all the "M" bands were represented except Maiden, Iron). All in all, it was one of the best live music experiences I've had in months. These guys didn't care about becoming rock stars, they just loved metal and had fun playing the best of it for the sake of playing it (and the free beer). Fun fun fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home