Sunday, June 05, 2005

Ridin' and Campin' the Bayou



After leaving New Orleans, I headed into the heart of the Bayou to finally go camping. I ended up at Sam Houston Jones State Park just outside of Lake Charles, LA. It was absolutely gorgeous, but hotter than hell. No, I mean really - even at night it didn't seem to cool off at all. I'd say that at the coolest point in the evening, it was maybe 140 degrees (at least that's what it felt like). They also had these amazing stealth bugs that you had no idea were eating you alive (I was covered in 100% DEET, which apparently was like BBQ sauce to them), until you noticed the bites and the godawful itch the next day.

One interesting note for all you campers out there: the public bathhouses were actually air-conditioned, if that gives you any idea how hot it gets down there. Most of the bathhouses I've seen didn't even have hot water!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Sam Houston state park in Louisiana? Wasn't Sam Houston a Tennessean-turned-Texan? I thought the folks in Louisiana hated East Texas? Or is that Oklahoma?
I'm so thoroughly confused.
Could someone refresh my understanding inter-state hatred?

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH! Sam Houston JONES!
I see! I knew it!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, before I forget, be sure to kiss Lucinda Williams for me!

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home