Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Austin, Texas

I rolled into Austin, Texas yesterday in the early evening and just crashed. I really wanted to go out and explore the legendary live music scene, but I was just too tired. I think it was riding in the heat - I'm used to doing 400-500 mile days, but not in 90+ degree heat, day after day.

Anyway, tonight I did do a little bit of exploring and I have to say that Austin seems like a really great town. On the recommendation of The Austin Chronicle, I went to a place called The Green Mesquite so I could continue my BBQ adventure. On Mondays and Tuesdays, they have an all you can eat BBQ special for $9.95(!), and this is what they brought me for round one:


What you can't see in this picture is the 1/2 lb. or so of OUTSTANDING brisket underneath the chicken and ribs! See, the special comes with your choice of three meats (brisket, chicken, ham, sausage, turkey, pork ribs, or pork loin), and two sides (pinto beans, green beans, potato salad, cajun rice, cole slaw, fried okra, or corn on the cob). It also comes with bread, pickles, and onions. I did a pretty good job on the above, but I had to also try the sausage, which was FANTASTIC - smoky, spicy, and delicious.

Oh, sweet Lord Jesus. I am SOOO glad all I had to eat earlier in the day was a chocolate milk and some pretzels. My recommendation: if you ever attempt to do this, don't eat anything earlier that day, and don't plan on eating or drinking anything else for the rest of the day, maybe the rest of the week.

This is my last BBQ on the trip. I'm actually (gasp!) a little tired of it. I've had my fill; if you pricked my finger now BBQ sauce would come out. Besides, I'm leaving BBQ land, so I guess it is time to move on. However, sampling the region's finest BBQ has been a pleasure, and I hope I haven't caused too much BBQ envy.

And the verdict? Well, it really isn't fair to compare BBQ from one area to BBQ from another area, but based on the one thing I had in numerous places - pork ribs - well, I'd have to say The Rendezvous in Memphis wins. However, the pulled pork at The Blue Ridge Pig was pretty outstanding, and the brisket at The Green Mesquite was the best I'd ever had. That meal was certainly the best value, that's for sure.

OK, nothing but salads for the next few days...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your BBQ Mathew. I enjoyed reading a little about your trip. If you haven't made it to Mexico yet, I'd be careful with your bike if your paperwork isn't completely in order. Some (stressing the word some here) border agents make a career out of SCREWING people. Also, be careful in the border towns... not the safest place in the world right now. My advice would to just ride straight through the border for a good 200 miles before stopping.

Cheers,
Austin
(your friendly Green Mesquite BBQ Slinger)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Mathew Elsner said...

Thanks for the suggestions, Austin! However, as you may have noted, I'm now blowing off Mexico. I've got better things to do than get hassled by the Federales. I probably should have stayed in town for another night or two - what a great city you guys have going there!

Keep up the amazing BBQ at the Green Mesquite (say hi to everyone for me) and best of luck with everything else you're doing!

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home