Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Austin, Texas, Part II

I am in Austin, so I had to go check out the legendary Sixth Street music scene. As I navigated the DL down the block looking for a space, I could already hear some MEAN blues coming from a place called Friends. I parked the DL and went inside to hear some of the best blues I have heard in years. The Eric Tessmer Band was playing, and I have to say that they did the best Stevie Ray Vaughn style blues since, well, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Eric Tessmer is truly a gifted guitarist and if I compare him to the legendary Stevie Ray, it is not without warrant - this kid is that good. Lots of guys are great at lightening fast runs, or can squeeze all the heartbreak you can imagine out of a bend, or can summon evil spirits with a slide, but this guy can do it all. If you ever get chance, check this guy out. He's the sort of guitarist that makes you want to go home and stay up all night playing guitar, you know what I mean?

After that, I just drove around the city a little bit before heading "home." It will be quite a while yet before I'll really be heading home, huh? Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

Tomorrow I'm heading south to Brownsville, Texas, where I'm hoping to cross the border into Mexico. I'm still crossing my fingers on that count, since I haven't received my official registration or title yet from the NY DMV, and Mexico requires one or the other to get a vehicle permit. I do have my temporary registration, but I have no idea if that will be enough. Several officials I spoke with at the Mexican Consulate and the Tourism Bureau seemed to think that would be enough to cross the border, but I guess the real question is will it be enough to bring the DL back into the U.S.?

If not, then this is going to be a lap of slightly less of North America than I had hoped. I've already had to drop my plans to head into Central America (just not enough time, especially if I really want to spend a few days or more in Alaska). Oh well - the best laid plans and all that, right?

We'll see. But for now, we ride on!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog Mathias...More Pictures!! I don't like actualy reading anything.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude I changed my mind...stay out of Mexico or you might be leaving the DL there to scale the wall to get back in. Homeland Shamcurity is on the case.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mat, is it your bike so good that it can jump off Mexico and land in Nicaragua and come to visit us???? If not now, when are you gonna come!? Forget about Alaska, you can do it any time!! But Nicaragua is nowwwwwwwwww.
Hugs
Gabriela

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home